1 a shoe for swimming; the paddle-like front is an aid in swimming (especially underwater) [syn: flippers, fin, fins]
2 the flat broad limb of aquatic animals specialized for swimming
- in marine mammals such as whales, a wide flat limb, adapted for swimming
- a flat, wide, paddle-like rubber covering for the foot, used in swimming
- a flat lever in a pinball machine, used to keep the ball in play
- A type of ball bowled by a leg spin bowler, which spins backwards and skids off the pitch with a low bounce
- In the context of "informal|US": television remote control, clicker
mammal's wide limb for swimming
paddle-like rubber covering for the foot, used in swimming
- German: Flosse
flat lever in a pinball machine
- German: Flipperhebel
Etymology 1From flipper, the part of a pinball machine used to strike the ball up higher on the game surface.
Etymology 2From to flip.
- to freak out
- pinball (game and machine)
Flipper may refer to:
- Flipper (anatomy), a limb on some animals
- A speculator who buys an asset in order to sell it quickly with a profit (see Flipping)
- A scuba diver's fin
- Film and television series featuring the intelligent bottlenose
dolphin named Flipper:
- Flipper (1963 film), directed by James B. Clark
- Flipper's New Adventure, a 1964 film directed by Leon Benson
- Flipper (1964 TV series), which originally ran from 1964-1967
- Flipper (1995 TV series), including Jessica Alba
- Flipper (1996 film), a 1996 film starring Elijah Wood as the main character, Sandy
- Flipper and Lopaka, a 2001 Australian animated TV series, with additional stories made in 2005
- Flipper (band), a punk band from San Francisco
- Flipper Reddolphin, a Welsh guitarist
- Die Flippers, a German Schlager group.
- A part of a pinball machine used to strike the ball up higher on the game surface
- Another name for a pinball machine in Germany, France or Italy
- Flipper, the name of the GPU chip, produced by ATi, that is used in the Nintendo GameCube videogame console
- Flipper (cricket), a type of delivery bowled by a wrist spin bowler
- Henry Ossian Flipper (1856–1940), the first African American cadet to graduate from West Point
- Flipper Anderson, former NFL wide receiver who holds the single game receiving record of 336 yards.
- A hiker that skips a section of a long distance trail to come back and hike it later in the season.
- Flippers, a fried dough pastry popular on Cape Cod, also known as malasadas.
- A cooking implement, also known as a turner (or, loosely, a spatula).
- A slang term for removable partial dentures.
- The nickname of Brazilian water polo player Leandro Ruiz Machado
flipper in German: Flipper
flipper in French: Flipper (homonymie)
flipper in Dutch: Flipper
flipper in Swedish: Flipper
Australian crawl, act drop, aquaplaning, aquatics, asbestos, asbestos board, backdrop, backstroke, balneation, bathe, bathing, batten, border, breaststroke, butterfly, cloth, coulisse, counterweight, crawl, curtain, curtain board, cyclorama, decor, diving, dog paddle, drop, drop curtain, fin, fire curtain, fishtail, flapper, flat, floating, hanging, natation, rag, scene, scenery, screen, side scene, sidestroke, stage screw, surfboarding, surfing, swim, swimming, tab, tableau, teaser, tormentor, transformation, transformation scene, treading water, wading, waterskiing, wing, wingcut, woodcut